People are up in arms. Some are claiming that not only is the earth heating up, but that human activity (specifically the burning of fossil fuels) is the cause. Others say that there is no evidence of a warming earth and even if there were, burning fossil fuels is not the cause.
It's a heated debate because the stakes are high; global warming has the potential to dangerously affect the lives of millions (if not billions) of people. Melting ice caps and rising seas will threaten coast lines and can further affect famine, mass human migration and war and trillions lost in damage.
The human race has never faced anthing even remotely as critical as global warming (except maybe nuclear weapon profileration).
The debate is on! What do the two sides agreed upon?
- Each year humans, through the burning of fossil fuels (oil, gasoline, and other gasses), pump billions of tons of green house gasses (carbon dioxide, abc, etc...) into the atmosphere.
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are elevated.
What do the two sides disagree upon?
- Will the elevated carbon dioxide levels cause dangerous climate change?
- Is human activty the cause of the elevated carbon dioxide levels? Or, more succintly, is global warming man-made?
- Ice levels going up? or down?
Sides? What sides?
The following companies, corporations, groups, organizations and individuals believe that global warming is primarily caused by human activity:
- Sierra Club
- Joe Blow
The following companies, corporations, groups, organizations and individuals believe that humans are not responsible for the elevated levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and further even if they were, the elevated levels will not cause much harm and may even have benefits:
- Ford Motor company
- Sam Smith